Ken Moody for Shelby County Mayor’s Platform
When you elect me as the next Mayor of Shelby County, these are some of the issues I would like to focus on to make our county a better place to live.
- Increase minority and women-owned businesses participation in Shelby County as my team did with the City of Memphis from 12% to 27%.
More on Economic Development
- Review the recommendations from the new disparity study and work with the commission on the implementation of those recommendations.
- Set solid expectations for the EDGE Board of Directors around incentives for new business recruitment. These enticements are needed to recruit businesses to the area, and accountability matrixes are important to ensure Shelby County reaps the benefits.
- Work with Shelby County employers and potential employers to identify skills needed to complement employees and future employees and abilities required fully.
- Be a better partner with municipalities to develop strong relationships with the Sheriff and municipality Police Chiefs to work on a comprehensive strategy to combat crime in Shelby County. Convene working groups to discuss what needs to be done to fight crime in this county.
More on Crime Solutions
- Propose expanding investment in wrap-around programs for our youth to help keep them on the right track. Build on an investment recently made in the Boys and Girls Clubs to offer incentives to stay in school and graduate from high school. Partnering with other non-profits providing these programs will be essential, and I believe, a deterrent to crime.
- Develop incentives for local developers to build or renovate houses on vacant lots to put properties back on the tax rolls.
More on Rebuilding Our Community
- Creating the right strategy to put the property in the land bank back on the property tax rolls in a significant way is important.
- Shelby County should work closely with municipalities on a countywide strategy for affordable housing. Memphis has an affordable housing trust that should be expanded. Shelby County should take the lead on exploring funding options for new homeowners to expand investment in homeownership. Or maybe this – Work with municipalities to create/redevelop livable communities to increase the tax base and affordable housing throughout Shelby County.
- I will collaborate with the county school systems on funding needs and research additional funding options and assist with lobbying the state legislature to secure those fiscal requirements for our schools.
More on Education
- Partner with area universities and college presidents, area chambers, and EDGE on a strategy to ensure that our workforce is prepared when industries are interested in coming to Memphis.
- As County Mayor, I look forward to listening to Shelby County employees to hear their concerns and work with my executive team on improving county services.
More on Employees and Officials
- I am committed to hosting quarterly staff town hall meetings with team members to hear directly from them and see what I can do as mayor to help make their workplace and conditions more appealing.
- I look forward to working with the Shelby County Commission and other countywide elected officials. They will be my colleagues and I will work closely with them on a realistic budget to present to the County Commission for approval.
Leadership You Can Count On
About Ken Moody
Over the next 13 years he rose from Community Affairs Manager to the Director of Public Services for the City of Memphis – along with several other titles up the ladder. During this span, he developed relationships with not only government officials but community activists, religious leaders and educators and continued to maintain connections with the business community.
In 2010, he joined Central Defense Security as a Human Resources Manager on an interim basis. He was soon named Assistant Human Resources Manager before settling in a somewhat familiar role as Director or Community Relations for the security staffing company.
With the election of Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland in 2016, he was afforded another opportunity to serve his community. Named Special Assistant to the Mayor, Moody has played a role in various functions throughout the city’s administration. He has been a sounding board between various stakeholders in business, nonprofit, faith-based, activists and government officials on all levels. He has also had a seat at the table when many major decisions have been made.
For Memphis and Shelby County
In Business and Community
With the Faith-Based Community
News & Updates
By Bill Dries | Daily Memphian | 03.14.22 The race for Shelby County Mayor won’t come directly to Worth Morgan until after the May Democratic primary is decided. But the Memphis City Council member, running unopposed in the May Republican primary, is already knocking...
By Bill Dries | Daily Memphian | 03.13.22 The first campaign signs of the 2022 election began showing up just ahead of the Friday, March 11, snow that blanketed parts of the city. And the first of what will be several campaign headquarters in Whitehaven opened...
By Arianna Poindexter | WMC-TV 5 | 01.21.22 MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - The pool of candidates for Shelby County mayor is growing as Ken Moody legally filed to run for office Friday afternoon at the Shelby County Election Commission. “We’ve continued our conversations...
If you are interested in joining the effort, please consider showing your support with a donation.
You can donate via check, mail it to:
Friends of Ken Moody
P.O. Box 4549
Cordova, TN 38088
You can also donate online:
Join the campaign! We are in need of volunteers to help with canvassing, phone banking, and more.
If you are interested in having Ken Moody attend or speak at your upcoming event or meeting, please complete our speaker request form.
Show your support by adding a Moody for Shelby County Mayor sign in your yard
Request your sign below and a campaign representative will deliver it to you.
Election Day (Primary)
May 3, 2022
Election Night Watch Party
Tuesday, May 3, 2022 • 7:30 p.m.
Friends of Ken Moody
P.O. Box 4549
Cordova, TN 38088